Thursday, October 08, 2009

Starbucks thoughts

I'm sitting in Starbucks, enjoying the fall-ish flavor of steamed cider and the smooth track of the pen across the leaves of my Moleskine. The gentle hum of the espresso machine gives rhythm to my thoughts. And, as usual, there are many thoughts.

I'm thinking about journeys and roads and pilgrimage. I wonder if I should go as much as I do, if the short-term investment I make in various people throughout my travels makes up for the lack of long-term investment here at home. "One should never be where one does not belong... Don't go mistaking Paradise for that home across the road," interrupts Bob Dylan's gravely voice over the loud speaker. Timing is everything, and that was as smooth as a movie scene. I have to wonder if I do that.

I'm thinking about God's hand at work in the unseen realm. I wonder what I would think if I could see everything that He's doing right now in my life. I don't think I would like it, because I wouldn't understand the context of Eternity. So I suppose that I'm content with my current sight, and with the grace-accompanied understanding that comes with sight.

I'm thinking about singleness and desire, and finding full completion in Christ. I'm thinking about dreams, and stored-up love, and how hard it gets to wait sometimes, and just how sweet it is to drink in Jesus with joy and thanksgiving when the ache creeps in. In the words of a friend, "the empty place setting for this constant table for two will remind me that no matter if I'm hungry or full, God always guides me home."

I'm thinking about fears, and confronting fears with truth, and living the command to let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, and let the Word of Christ dwell in you richly. I wonder what would happen if I always obeyed these two commands.

I'm thinking of 1 John, and the mind-blowing truth about who I am in Christ. I wonder that I ever forget it. Your sins are forgiven for Christ's name's sake. You know Him who is from the beginning. You know the Father. You are strong, and the Word of God abides in you, and you have overcome the evil one. You have been anointed by the Holy One, and you all have knowledge. Why do I doubt? How can I forget?

These are the thoughts on my heart as I sit in Starbucks tonight. Jack Johnson's smooth crone replaces Bob Dylan's gravely croak. I finish my cider and close my journal.

Let the peace of Christ rule, and the Word of Christ dwell...

2 comments:

AmberDenae said...

You're so inspiring. Every time I visit your page, I am encouraged and enlightened. Thank you.

AmberDenae said...

P.S. A little off subject here but I am interested to know what kind of lens you use? And camera? I have a Canon Rebel Xti which I love but I really want to get a new lens for her and I haven't the slightest clue as to where to begin. I love how all of your pictures turn out, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask :)

ShareThis