Saturday, May 02, 2009

Journal Entry

IMG_2826

Today has been quite the day. God is stripping things out of my hands, and reminding me that this is
His story, not mine. As such, it is vital that I hold my hands open, instead of closing them around hopes and dreams and plans and passions. Oswald Chambers sums it up well: "The nature of spiritual life is that we are certain in our uncertainty, consequently we do not make our nests anywhere."

No nests. Not in dreams, not in plans, not in hopes, or expectations. Not even when it seems to be God's direction and guidance, or when it seems that God placed me here.

Chambers continues, "Certainty is the mark of the common-sense life; gracious uncertainty the mark of the spiritual life. To be certain of God means that we are uncertain in all our ways, we do not know what a day may bring forth... We are uncertain of our next step, but we are certain of God... We are not uncertain of God, but uncertain of what He is going to do next... Leave the whole thing to Him, it is gloriously uncertain how He will come in,
but He will come." (My Utmost for His Highest, April 29 entry)

Psalm 84:5-7 says that I am a pilgrim with a heart set on a journey toward God. This pilgrimage is not just a part of my life. It defines it. It changes my life's tenure, its strengths and standards, its direction, and the theme and rhythm of my day-to-day walk.

And so I walk as a pilgrim with a heart on a journey to God, and consequently, I do not make my nest anywhere— except on God Himself.



No comments:

ShareThis