Thursday, January 15, 2009

Worldview & Lensview

world·view (wûrld'vyōō') n.
1. The overall perspective from which one sees and interprets the world.
2. A collection of beliefs about life and the universe held by an individual or a group.

I've spent some time pondering this word lately. What it means to me. How it applies to my life. What my worldview is, and whether it's Christ-centered or not, and whether or not I really believe in Truth.

Truth is the perception of reality as defined by God. And, as it turns out, God's perception of reality is rarely the same as ours. Insanity is the loss of connection with reality, and believing that a lie is truth.

Do I really believe that what I believe is really real?

What would happen if i really believed that God hears, and answers, my prayers? What would happen if I really believed that the Holy Spirit works in and through me to accomplish God's purposes? What would happen if I really believed that my justification is complete? How would it change/affect my view of how God in and through me? How would it change my view of others?

For the past several months I've followed close to 100 photography blogs. I've known that all of those photographers don't exactly hold to what is right and true in their work and art, but my mindset has been to take what is good and leave the rest. This has worked so far (or so I thought), but I've noticed that as I'm exposed to less-than-God-reflecting work, my own work has (very slowly, mind you) gravitated downward, as well.

I mean this:
When I shoot a bride, I want the images to reflect the holiness and purity of Christ's relationship with His Church. Most photographers focus more on the beauty and sensuality of a bride on her wedding day instead of the purity and holiness of marriage. I've begun to change my thinking, though ever-so-slightly, to focus more on making a good image (like the ones I've seen) instead of capturing the character of Christ. Who am I imitating? Rich photographers taking pictures of rich people? Or the Heavenly Bridegroom's precious love for His Church?

Same applies to portraits. When I take someone's picture, I want to reflect the glory and creativity of God's love for humankind... especially in His redeemed children. I want to capture their personality, their loves, their idiosyncrasies, and everything that makes them who they are as a unique individual made in the image of God. Lately I've found myself trying, instead, to imitate other photographers instead of seeking to accurately reflect Christ in my images.

These ponderings on worldview made me think. And pray. And reevaluate. And see the need for change. I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do about all those blogs I subscribe to. Some of them are really good, and don't bother me. Others are Christian photographers. Some need to go. It'll take some time to look through them all and pray about which to continue reading and which ones to get rid of. It's not the images that bother me so much as the worldviews expressed. I want to be Christ-centered in all my endeavors.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Hi Sarah! Thanks soooo much for your comment! And for giving me some of those quotes! :-)
Ah, nice! A Cannon 30D....I like Cannons. My best friend and another good friend of mine, Brandon, both have 40D's and just handling that thing is so much fun, and there's so much you can do with a camera like a 30 or 40D. I have an Olympus e-510. I LOVE it! :-D It's my baby!

I really loved this post, and how true it is for a photographer, I really admire your view point on all this!

AmberDenae said...

You are such an inspiration!

ShareThis