Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Surprises


Sometimes a light surprises
The Christian while he sings;
It is the Lord Who rises
With healing in His wings:
When comforts are declining,
He grants the soul again
A season of clear shining,
To cheer it after the rain

In holy contemplation
We sweetly then pursue
The theme of God’s salvation,
And find it ever new;
Set free from present sorrow,
We cheerfully can say,
Let the unknown tomorrow
Bring with it what it may.

-William Cowper, 1731-1800


Some such surprises from last week:
  • A drive home at night reflecting on a hard week gone by, enjoying the beauty of the bright moon in a clear sky, then silenced and in awe of the beauty from the combination of truck headlights, fallen leaves, and a wet road.
  • A box of Time Life photography books found at our library's book sale.
  • Two hours spent wandering downtown Fredericksburg with my camera, then curling up in the window seat of my favorite coffee shop with a good book and a cup of chai.
  • An unexpected gift of money toward my laptop.
  • Dinner with one friend, lunch with another. An evening of pizza and a bonfire with one group of friends, an evening of hotdogs, fondue, and another bonfire with another group of friends. Good fellowship at all of them.
  • Gingerbread syrup arrived at my Starbucks... which means I get my favorite drink several weeks early.
  • My favorite sweater was lost for almost a month, but a friend found it for me this weekend.
  • Memorized Scripture coming to mind at really good times.
  • Finding myself in prayer in the midst of craziness at work.
  • God showing me the depths of my own heart in painful ways, but finding the pain to be good.
  • God's truth prevailed, healed me, ministered to my soul, sought me out, firmly grounded, sweetly, convicted, chastened, forgave, revealed, once again found preeminence in my heart.

    It was a good week.

No comments:

ShareThis